Using Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools and technology to optimize your internship and job search is on the rise. Leveraging AI can help streamline your job and internship search, but keep in mind the advantages and limitations of the technology. When used effectively and ethically, AI can help save job seekers time so they can focus on other aspects of their search but should be used to supplement, not replace natural language.
According to a ResumeBuilder.com survey of 1,000 current and recent job hunters, nearly half (46%) of job seekers use the chatbot to craft their résumés or cover letters.
Advantages of AI
- Assistance with job search based on input from users. Uses prompts/queries to identify. competencies of a specific job description to draft a customized resume and cover letter.
- Ask for specific responses based on the information provided, edit prompts, ask follow-up questions, and request responses that use different tones, such as formal, engaging, or casual.
- Identify job titles based on education, skills, and experiences.
- Extract language and requirements from the job description.
- Develop a list of questions to ask during an interview.
- Help with the transition into a new career within different industries.
- Previous searches, new prompts, patterns, and previous information can help train AI to maximize its knowledge base.
- Responses can lack the ability to provide in-depth, individualized insight and can’t replace human interaction.
- Complex or industry-specific jargon may be difficult for AI to create.
- Users need to check responses for inaccuracies and the inclusion of their unique words and written cadence.
- Sharing personally identifiable information with AI can leave users vulnerable to nefarious activities. For example, if you insert your resume into the chat for feedback, do so without including your name, email address, phone number, etc.
- Can’t be used to negotiate job offers since it requires research of recent trends, industry-specific information, human advice, and in-person conversations with employers.
- AI does not provide the expertise and personal approach that career counseling does.
Here are a few links to resources about using AI to write your resume:
- The Best AI Resume Builders for Job Seekers
- 3 in 4 Job Seekers Who Used ChatGPT to Write Their Resume Got an Interview