It is important to create a timeline for yourself when applying to pharmacy school but perhaps more importantly, your timeline should be flexible. Course scheduling, extra-curricular activities, and personal considerations, etc. can all contribute to the need for having flexibility in your timeline.
For specific application deadlines, you should always check the PharmCAS. It is always a good idea to apply early. Applying early can help you avoid delays, allow for timely processing and improve your chances of being admitted to schools using rolling admissions.
Here is a timeline that you should consider prior to and while applying to pharmacy school.
Prior to Applying
- Open an Interfolio account to store the letters written for you.
- Gather letters of recommendations.
- Continue with your volunteer, work or research activities.
- Prepare for the PCAT: Register and choose from several dates but it is recommended you not take the PCAT before July of the year that you submit your pharmacy school application.
- Attend health professional school workshops, graduate school fairs, etc.
- Consult the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)’s grid showing school requirements.
- Order and collect official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities that you have attended.
June – August of the Application Cycle
- Take the PCAT (if necessary)
- Earlier test dates help avoid delays in getting scores.
- Confirm deadline dates for PharmCAS and pharmacy schools.
- PharmCAS application is available in July. Begin to complete the application. Contact PharmCAS directly for specific questions that are not found in their instruction manual.
- Have letters of recommendation sent to PharmCAS – check individual schools for specific criteria.
- PharmCAS verifies primary application.
- Continue to work, volunteer, etc.
August – October of the Application Cycle
- PharmCAS begins releasing applications to schools in August.
- Deadline for Early Decision Programs in early September.
- Schools send supplemental applications.
- Make an appointment for a Mock Interview.
- Schools begin interviewing.
November – March of the Application Cycle
- Continue sending in applications according to institutional deadlines.
- California school deadlines are all in the beginning of November.
- Schools continue interviewing.
- Academic Update Window is open from December through February. This is the only time you can update or make changes to your application after your initial submission AND your application has been sent to your designated schools.
- PharmCAS is closed and will no longer accept changes or material.
- Schools will receive information from PharmCAS regarding how many offers of admission you have received.
- Schools can continue extending offers to applicants that have been waitlisted.