Have questions about the profession?
Don’t know how to get started on the application process?
Below are links to assist you in becoming a successful applicant to dental school.
Preparation & Application
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS)
- Dental Explorer (for purchase)
Is Dental School For Me?
What do Dentists do?
- Dentists are health professionals who focus on maintaining the health of teeth, gums and other hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity and adjacent structures.
- Additionally, dentists can be found not only providing direct patient care but also teaching, conducting research and working in public and international health.
Top Tips for a Career in Dentistry
- Major in the field which interests you the most, while showing strong academic ability in science.
- Explore the field of dentistry; be sure you know the positive and negative aspects of being a dentist and the future of the dental profession.
- Pursue extra-curricular activities which interest you. Leadership and communication skills are very important, along with the ability to work with others of diverse interests and backgrounds.
- Keep your grades as high as possible. An upward trend in grade performance will be noted, especially when you are trying to overcome a less than spectacular year.
- Begin looking for people who can write your letters of recommendation.
- Develop your manual dexterity.