We have a team of professionals and peer advisors who are ready to guide you on your career journey. Through scheduled appointments and drop-ins, they can help you translate your strengths and past experience to your future head.
*Appointments may be offered in person, through video, or over the phone. When you sign up, please check the location so you’re prepared to connect with your counselor. You can login to Handshake to view your appointment and location.*
- Appointment Policy
Counseling appointments and Mock Interviews (seasonal) at the Career Center are in high demand, and the expectation is that you will show up on time, or cancel/reschedule in advance, to allow other students the option to book that time. It is professional courtesy to follow through on appointments scheduled, to be on time, and to cancel with plenty of notice if you are not able to attend.
You can cancel your appointment up to 1 hour prior to the scheduled time. If Handshake does not allow you to cancel online, you can call our reception desk at 510.642-1716. Please note, if the cancellation is within 1 hour of your appointment, you will be marked as a no show (as outlined below).
No Show Policy
You will be considered a no-show if any of the following occurs:
- You fail to cancel your appointment more than 1 hour prior to the start of your scheduled appointment, or
- You are more than 10 mins late (for a 30 mins appt or mock interview), or 5 mins late (for a 'same day mini')
If you are marked as a no-show for a scheduled appointment with a staff member a second time, your ability to schedule appointments will be blocked for the remainder of the semester, and you will need to speak to a counseling manager before your privileges will be restored.
Please be on time to your appointment. If you are more than 10 mins late to your appointment (for a 30 mins appt or mock interview), or 5 mins late (for a ‘same day mini’), you will be marked as a no-show and asked to reschedule. *If you have called to let us know you are running late (prior to the end of the 10/5 mins grace period), you may still meet with the career counselor, but will only have the remaining portion of the time scheduled for your appointment. If you have not called to notify us that you will be late, you will be marked as a no-show and asked to reschedule.
The outside world does not operate on “Berkeley Time”. The Career Center is here to help prepare you for that world, and showing up on time for appointments is considered appropriate, conscientious and professional. If you schedule an appointment at the same time a class ends, you will most likely be late to the appointment. To prevent this, try scheduling the appointment when you know you do not have back-to-back commitments or communicate with your counselor ahead of time to determine if she/he is able to accommodate a later start time.
- No-shows will be cleared on January 1 and August 1 and will not carry over to the next semester
- A no-show is considered any appointment in which a student fails to attend without canceling at least one hour prior to the appointment start time, or when the student is more than 10 mins late to their appointment (for a 30 mins appt or mock interview), or 5 mins late (for a 'same day mini').
- By scheduling an appointment with our office, you agree to the policies outlines here.
- There is a separate policy for no-show appointments for On Campus Interviews.
- Career Counseling Appointments (30 mins)
Available to students beginning Spring semester of their freshmen year. Fall-semester freshmen are welcome to utilize drop-in appointments and all of the resources available on our website. Read here for more information on what to expect in a Career Counseling session.
In-depth questions about:
- career readiness
- career & major exploration
- internship & job search strategies
- interview prep
- graduate school (except pre-health professions)
- LinkedIn assistance/profile reviews
In addition to meeting with a counselor aligned with your major/college, we also offer specialized appointments for:
- International Students
- Students registered with our Disabled Students Program
- Drop-in and Same Day Mini Options
These quick appointments are great for resume and cover letter critiques and quick questions about career exploration, internships, job search strategies, graduate school, and Career Center services.
Meet with a Peer Advisor on a drop in basis to answer questions on: Handshake, Initial Resume Critique, Career Center Services, Cover Letters, Interviews, etc. Go to our Peer Advisor page to learn about hours and other offerings throughout the year.
Sign up for a 15-minute Same Day Mini appointment with a career counselor for QUICK questions on: Advanced Resume Critique, Job and Internship Search Strategy, Advanced Cover Letter Writing, Handshake job/internship search tips, etc. *Pre-health advising not available during same-day minis
- Pre Health Advising Appointments (30 mins)
- Pre Law Advising Appointments (30 mins)
For students interested in applying to law school, meet with a counselor to discuss timeline, personal statements, application strategies, and more.
- Peace Corps Appointments (appointment length varies)
Speak with our local Peace Corps Representative to learn more about volunteer opportunities in the Peace Corps and to address your questions about the application process. Appointments can be at the Career Center or the Peace Corps office in Downtown Oakland.
Read here for more information about our Peace Corps rep
- Teach For America Appointments (appointment length varies)
Speak with our local Teach for America representative to learn more about developing leadership skills in the fight against educational inequity through a full-time classroom teaching position. Juniors and Seniors are welcome to apply. To learn more, please email:
Lara Ferreira, Director of Recruitment
Read here for more information about Teach for America
- US State Department Diplomat in Residence (appointment length varies)
The Diplomat in Residence holds periodic office hours to consult with students considering a career with the U.S. Department of State. To schedule a time to meet with the Diplomat in Residence, please visit the DIR Facebook page for the most up to date Office Hours: https://www.facebook.com/dirnwest/
You can schedule a virtual session with the Diplomat in Residence here: https://calendly.com/dirnorthwest
You can also write directly to the DIR at DIRNorthwest@state.gov
Read here for more information about the Diplomat in Residence