Career Field - International
- Career Guides: Multiple Fields
- Translation & Interpretation
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Work, Travel & Live Abroad Resources
- Country & Job Search Resources (Work Permits, Visas, Resume)
- Student & Professional Organizations
Vault Guides - Insider information, video profiles, downloadable e-books, and more, covering major careers and industries. Access through Handshake. Be sure to check out the "International Careers" and "Careers in International Development" guidebooks.
- eslSearch - has information about TEFL, including an overview of the TEFL job market, training options, and more.
- French Ministry of Education Teaching Assistantships and North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain - If you speak French or Spanish (even slightly), you can apply to be one of the 1000-1500 Americans paid to teach for 6-9 months all over France or Spain, respectively.
- Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) - Fully funded opportunities to teach anywhere in the world.
- Go Overseas - Online source for finding teach abroad opportunities with reviews, photos, and job postings.
- Japan Exchange & Teaching (JET) Program - The Japanese government pays university graduates to teach in Japan for a year.
- Masters/Certification Programs:
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (Formerly The Monterey Institute of International Studies)
San Francisco State University (College of Extended Learning)
The American Translators Association
UC Berkeley Extension
- The American Association of Language Specialists
- The Translator's Home Companion
Tourism & Hospitality
- JobMonkey.com - Comprehensive job information on: cruise lines, resorts and attractions, land tours, air transportation, and other tourism and hospitality industries.
- Tourism & Hospitality Job Listing Sites - International opportunities
- Federal Government - Opportunities to work abroad with any major/degree in areas such as: intelligence, foreign policy, economics, diplomacy, technology/engineering, translation and research.
- US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- US Department of State - Careers and internships in foreign affairs, and information about Cal's "Diplomat on Campus."
Research positions are great if you are interested in fields such as public policy, politics or international affairs. You will likely write papers and examine theoretical positions to gain new knowledge and understanding. Research centers or "think tanks" look at international issues such as development, world peace, global poverty and arms control.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Directory of Development Organizations (worldwide) including: international organizations, government ministries, private sector institutions, development agencies, research and training institutes, NGOs/PDOs, microfinance institutions, and development consulting firms. Searchable by geographical region and specific country.
- NIRA's World Directory of Think Tanks
- World Policy Institute
- Berkeley Programs for Study Abroad - Information on studying business or finance abroad.
- Binational Chambers of Commerce - Contact information and links to foreign trade associations, on California Secretary of State's website.
- Forbes magazine and Fortune magazine - Lists of top international companies and top 500 Global companies, respectively, including top multinational and foreign companies in the US.
- GlobalEdge International Business Resource Desk - Huge directory of international business resources, maintained by Michigan State University.
Work, Travel & Live Abroad Resources
- EscapeArtist: Overseas Living
- iAgora: International Travel, Multilingual, Work, Study
- Transitions Abroad: Work, Study, Travel, Live
- Verge Magazine - Work Abroad
Country & Job Search Resources (Work Permits, Visas, International Resume)
- CIA World Factbook - Country maps, geography, demographic, transportation and economic data.
- GoinGlobal - Country specific career information guides and job search, including visa information, resume/cover letter, and cultural norms. Login to Handshake for access.
- US Department of State: International Information Programs provides news, policy and information for countries around the world.
Participating in these groups can be a valuable avenue for learning about an occupation or field. They are an excellent resource for networking, and their websites often have information about careers.
Cal Student Organizations
- Student Organizations - List of UC Berkeley student organizations registered with The LEAD Center.
A few of the major professional organizations include:
- French-American Chamber of Commerce, San Francisco Chapter
- International Trade Administration - Trade shows, missions, calendar of events sponsored by the US Department of Commerce.
- San Francisco Chamber of Commerce - Programs and networking events related to international business and global issues.
- World Affairs Council of Northern California - Offers 250 programs a year on current foreign policy issues. Located in San Francisco, with over 10,000 members.
To find other professional associations, go to:
- Directory of Associations - Search a database of over 35,000 professional associations.