Planning Your Future - Visualization Exercise
You may want to have a friend or career counselor read the following imagery, or you may want to read through the exercise first and then imagine it on your own.
Find a quiet, calming place to close your eyes and relax as you imagine...
You are walking along a path...it could be in the woods, on a beach, in a valley...whichever is your favorite place in nature. As you walk along feel the air around you...notice the smells...be conscious of the sounds...take note of any plants or vegetation around and what the path feels like under your feet...
Ahead you notice the path divides in two different directions. You take the first pathway that represents the first option you are considering. As you go down that path, experience that option. Try it on fully. How does it make you feel in your body...your heart...your mind? Notice everything inside you and outside you and what is happening...
Walk back to the fork in the path and try the other pathway that leads to your second option. Experience that option fully. How does it feel to experience this option?
Walk back again to the fork in the path. You suddenly see a third path that you had not been able to see before. You take the path and experience a solution you had not thought of before. What is it? What does it feel like?
Return back to the fork and then back down to where you originally started. You feel clear about something from these experiences. You take a deep breath, open your eyes, and come back to the present to write about your observations.
Write down your responses to the following questions:
- What is your reaction to this exercise?
- What feelings, thoughts or experiences did you have?
- What did you realize about yourself and your plan that you did not realize before?
- How have you or your goals changed as a result of this experience?
- What goals would you like to set for yourself now?
- If you are not ready to set a goal for yourself, what additional information do you need?
- What are any barriers that are preventing you from setting a goal?
- What can you do about these barriers?