Career CompetitivenessWhether you know your career goal or not, building your knowledge and skills both in and out of the classroom will make you a strong job candidate. In addition, you should know how to present your qualifications to employers on paper, online, and in person. Here are some resources to help you do so.
Experiences to Enhance Marketability
- Internships - The number one way to increase your competitiveness as a candidate
- Student Organizations/Campus Activities - Offer chances to build leadership, interpersonal and job skills.
- Undergraduate Research - Of interest to many employers.
- Volunteer Experience does count as experience! Consider volunteering:
- Post-BA Fellowships/Internships - Provide chances to build expertise in an area of research or a career area.
- Our career readiness webpage lists the competencies that employers are looking for; see what you have and what you need!
- Events include employer and alumni panels, networking events, and job search skills workshops.
- Externships last one to ten days and take place at an employer's work site.
- Our Job and Internship Guide leads you through planning, preparing for and executing your job search.
Meeting with a career counselor, you can:
- Identify your existing work and transferrable skills as well as new skills to develop.
- Learn about, and learn to use, effective job and internship search strategies.
- Review your resume and cover letter; build your interviewing and networking skills.
- Develop a plan of action for the job/internship search or graduate school applications.