Letter Service - Frequently Asked Questions - Sending Letters
The Letter Service will make every effort to upload your letters. We cannot guarantee your upload will be successful because upload requirements vary by school and dept./program. If it cannot be completed, the Letter Service will cancel your request, issue a credit to your account, and notify you by email.
Depending upon how quickly you want us to process your request, you must select either Express or Rush processing. See processing times and fees. Complete all 4 steps of the procedure below:
1. You must first generate an "invitation(s)" to the school/program and enter a source email. Do not use your letter writer's email address. Rather, use one or more of the following Letter Service emails. (enter a different email for each letter writer name):
2. Login to your account and select Make Request.
3. Choose Website Uploading Service. Select all your letters, processing method and complete the request form. Please enter the general address for this school/program.
4. Preview your request to ensure all information is complete and accurate and submit. You will receive an email once your letters have been uploaded.
Please remember that the upload of your letters can only be processed after both the invitation(s) from the school/program and your online request has been received.
The Letter Service offers a streamlined process by which you can send your letters by email if your institution accepts this delivery format. Depending upon how quickly you want us to process your request, you can select Basic, Express, or Rush processing. See processing times and fees. Please follow the instructions below:
- Login to your account, select Make Request and choose Email Service.
- Select all your letters and complete the request form. If any specific info (job title, job number, program or contact name) is required, enter this in the “Email Subject Line”. You must enter the general address for this school/program.
- Preview your request to ensure all information is complete and accurate and submit.
You will receive an email once your letters have been transmitted.
We will only transmit your letters after the email address provided has been verified. To assist us in this process, enter a contact name associated with the email address.
First, you will need to complete an LSAC Letter of Recommendation Form (obtained through your LSAC account) for each of your letter writers.
A barcode should appear on each of your forms when printed. Please email (email@example.com), fax (510-642-4958), mail, or drop off your LSAC forms at the Career Center.
Login to your account and verify that all your LSAC “matching forms” have been posted to your list of letters. You can then submit a mail request to forward all your letter(s) and matching LSAC form(s) you want sent to LSAC. Please make sure to select these matching forms and letters in the same request.
Interfolio will accept letters from the Letter Service by mail, email or a web upload. Please follow one of the procedures below.
Follow the instructions on the Interfolio website to generate an upload invitation for each letter writer. Make sure that your writer’s full name is listed on your invitation and forward each separate invitation to Letter@berkeley.edu. You can then login to your account and submit a website upload request. Select all your letters in the same request and enter the general address for Interfolio.
You will need to complete an Interfolio Credential File Transfer Request Form (obtained through Interfolio) and forward this form to our office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (510-642-4958), mail, or you can drop off this form at the Career Center. Once you have verified that this Interfolio form has been posted to your online account, please login to your account and submit a mail request. Select your Interfolio form and all your letters in the same request. Make sure the address you enter for Interfolio is accurate and complete.
The processing fees depend on whether you are a current student/Alumni Advantage member or if you don't want to pay for Alumni Advantage, you can pay our One-Time-Send processing fees. https://career.berkeley.edu/Letter/OneTimeSend
View processing times and fees for a comprehensive list of request options. The fees listed are per packet of letters forwarded to one school/program.
Most American medical schools are participants in the AMCAS Letter program. If you are applying to one or more of these medical schools, you can submit your letters directly to AMCAS and direct them to be distributed to the individual schools through your AMCAS application. Letters forwarded to AMCAS require that you include the appropriate AMCAS Letter Request/Matching Forms.
Specific instructions on how to complete these AMCAS letter request/matching forms are available on the Letter Service website.
Once you have decided which option to pursue, fill out the form(s) accordingly and forward your forms to us by email (email@example.com), fax ((510) 642-4958)), mail or drop them off at the Career Center.
First, be sure that you have submitted one or more AMCAS Matching Forms, and that they appear in your list of available letters. We do not need "a separate invitation” for uploading letters to AMCAS. Also make sure you have enough funds in your account to pay for this request.
After you login to your account and select Make Request, choose the Website Uploading Service option. Make sure to select all your letter(s) and all the AMCAS matching form(s) in the same request so you only pay one fee. Complete the required address fields using the general PO Box address for AMCAS.
2. Login to your account and select Make Request.
Under the writer contact fields, enter the Letter Service as the primary contact.
Career Center Letter Service
University of California, Berkeley
2440 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94720-4350
If you select BASIC mail service:
Attn: AMCAS Letters
AAMC Medical School Application Services
P.O. Box 18958
Washington, DC 20036
If you select EXPRESS/RUSH mail service:
Attn: Letters of Recommendation
AAMC Med School Application Service
655 K Street NW, Suite 100
Washington, DC, 20001-2399
Under special circumstances, we will include application materials with your letters. These materials will have to be mailed from the Letter Service. We cannot give you copies of your letters to mail on your own.
Please follow these steps:
- Place all your application materials in a manila envelope (9X12 or smaller) and address the front of the envelope to the program to which you are applying. Write your name and return address in the top left corner
- Bring this envelope to the Career Center 3rd Floor Reception Desk and ask to speak with a Letter Service staff person.
- You can then make your request in our office. You must select either Express or Rush mailing service so a tracking number is provided. An additional fee ($5 or $10) will be charged to you depending on the weight of your application materials.
If you cannot bring your application materials in person, you can mail your prepared envelope with the materials to our office. Attach a note to this envelope to email you when we receive it. Once you receive this confirmation, you can then submit your Rush or Express request online. Be sure to include the additional fee ($5 or $10) for the weight of your application materials.
You should always feel free to contact the schools to ask questions about their secondary applications.
Get on the CareerMail Pre-Med list; look for messages labeled "Especially for Applicants."
Make a Mini-Appointment to speak with a Career Counselor any afternoon at the Career Center. We'll help you make good judgment calls as you prepare your secondary application materials.