Independent U.S. Summer Internship Credit Option
The Independent U.S. Summer Internship Credit Option gives you the means to receive academic credit for a summer internship that you have already obtained on your own. The program consists of an online summer sessions course taken concurrently with your approved internship.
This program is a great opportunity for students who have found a summer internship and:
- Want to receive academic credit
- Want to reflect upon their internship experiences in a structured manner
- Have the time and bandwidth for additional coursework over the summer
Application process opens
Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Summer Sessions course enrollment opens
Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Friday, May 13, 2022
Deadline to enroll in UGIS C151 (once approved)
Sunday, May 22, 2022
June 6 - August 12, 2022
Please read the important information in each section below before applying:
The 2022 Application Window is now CLOSED.
In order to be eligible for this opportunity, you need to:
- Be a current UC Berkeley undergraduate student
- Have already accepted an internship for Summer 2022 (please contact us if your employer is requesting academic credit pre-approval before making you an offer)
- Not be enrolled in Global Internships concurrently
- You need to receive academic credit while you are in the internship.
- Your internship should involve professional work related to your career interests or academic major.
- Your internship should aid you with potential career opportunities and assist you in clarifying your personal career goals.
- Your internship has a clearly defined duration (typically, summer internships are 9-13 weeks long, 20 or more hours a week; inquire if you are unsure).
- A professional staff member from your internship employer will supervise you.
- Your internship can be paid or non-paid.
- Your internship should be located and completed in the United States. Remote internships based in the US are eligible.
Please Note: These guidelines are being used by the Career Center to determine whether academic credit should be granted for an internship and to provide criteria to assure the integrity of an internship. These guidelines exclude departmentally-based internship programs operated as part of an approved degree.
- Review the eligibility criteria above to see if you and your internship are eligible.
- Determine if getting credit for your internship is the right option for you.
- Fill out the application form below completely by Friday, May 13, 2022 (incomplete submissions will not be approved). The application link is at the bottom of this page.
- Your submission will be reviewed and approved or denied within one week of submission, unless notified otherwise.
- If approved, you will be emailed the Class Number for the online internship course, UGIS C151, offered through UC Berkeley Summer Sessions.
- Students who are approved must enroll in UGIS C151 by Sunday, May 22, 2022.
- If you are an international student, your CPT form can be signed by Summer Sessions after you are approved and have enrolled in UGIS C151.
Once your internship has been approved by the Career Center, you will be given the Class Number to enroll in the following online course:
Course Number: UGIS C151
Course Title: Leadership: Purpose, Authority, and Empowerment
Instructor(s): Professor Dan Mulhern and Laura Andersen
Grading: P/NP or graded
Dates: June 6 – August 12, 2022
Description: UGIS C151 is an online course that facilitates students’ exploration of the concept of leadership, how it differs from authority, and how it feels when an authority figure fails to lead as expected. People are tremendously dependent on authority; expectations and assumptions about authority can impact how an authority figure has to lead.
Students will have the opportunity to develop leadership skills through experiential exercises, behavioral and self-assessments, case studies, class discussions, and lectures.
Please Note: You must obtain approval from the Career Center in order to enroll in this course. Students who have not obtained this approval will not be allowed to participate. If you enroll without the necessary approval, you will be automatically removed from the course. Enrollment in UGIS C151 must be completed by May 22, 2022. Late enrollments will NOT be accepted.
Students are encouraged to consult with their academic adviser to see which major/minor or breadth requirements this course may fulfill.
Note: This course is cross-listed with UGBA C155, which is available only to participants of the Summer Sessions Global Internship program. Though these two courses are cross-listed, UGIS C151 does not satisfy Haas upper division business credits and approval for the Independent U.S. Summer Internship Credit Option does not grant you access to enroll in UGBA C155.
Summer Session fees are $419 per unit, plus any additional registration or campus fees. This course is 3 units. For more information, refer to Registration Fees at http://summer.berkeley.edu/registration/fees
In order to qualify for financial aid, students must be registered for at least 6 units during the summer. This course is 3 units. You will need to enroll in an additional 3 units of coursework in order to qualify for aid.
Tuition and Refund Policy
Once you have registered, all course related fees will appear on your CalCentral account. A refund of unit fees will be issued if you cancel by the Friday of the first week of class. Regular Berkeley Summer Sessions refund policies and deadlines apply to the refund of unit fees. For detailed information about these policies, please go to: http://summer.berkeley.edu/registration/refund.
UC Berkeley Career Center
Internship Program Staff
International students needing CPT Form sign-off or additional information, please contact:
Summer 2022 Application Period is Feb 1, 2022 - May 13, 2022
THE SUMMER 2022 APPLICATION FORM IS NOW OPEN:
APPLY NOW >>
If you have trouble accessing the form, it may be because you are logged into your personal gmail account. Please log out and try again with your @berkeley.edu email.