Independent U.S. Summer Internship Credit Option
The Independent U.S. Summer Internship Credit Option gives you the means to receive academic credit via an online course for an internship that you have obtained on your own.
This is a great opportunity for students who have found an internship and:
- Need academic credit
- Want to reflect upon their internship experiences in a structured manner
In order to be eligible for this opportunity, you need to:
- Be a current UC Berkeley undergraduate student
- Have accepted an internship for Summer 2019 (or need advanced approval)
- Not be enrolled in Global Internships concurrently
- You need to receive academic credit while you are in the internship.
- Your internship should involve professional work related to your career interests or academic major.
- Your internship should aid you with potential career opportunities and assist you in clarifying your personal career goals.
- Your internship has a clearly defined duration (typically summer internships are 9-13 weeks long, 20 or more hours a week; inquire if you are unsure).
- A professional staff member at your internship site will supervise you.
- Your internship can be paid or non-paid.
- Your internship should be located and completed in the United States.
Please Note: These guidelines are being used by the Career Center to determine whether academic credit should be granted for an internship and to provide criteria to assure the integrity of an internship. These guidelines exclude departmentally-based internship programs operated as part of an approved degree.
- Review the eligibility criteria (above) to see if you and your internship are eligible.
- Determine if getting credit for your internship is the right option for you.
- Fill out the application form completely by Friday, May 10, 2019 (incomplete submissions will not be approved). The application link is at the bottom of this page.
- Your submission will be reviewed and approved or denied within one week of submission, unless notified otherwise.
- If approved, you will be emailed the Class Number for the online internship course, UGIS W157, offered through UC Berkeley Summer Sessions.
- Students who are approved must enroll in UGIS W157 by Wednesday, May 29, 2019.
- If you are an international student, your CPT form can be signed by Summer Sessions after you are approved and have registered for UGIS W157.
Important Dates and Deadlines
|Summer Sessions enrollment begins (application link below)||Monday, February 4, 2019|
|Deadline to request course credit||Friday, May 10, 2019|
|Deadline to enroll in UGIS W157WE||Wednesday, May 29, 2019|
|Course dates||June 10-August 16, 2019|
Once your internship has been approved by the Career Center, you will be given the Class Number to enroll in the following online course:
Course Number: UGIS W157
Course Title: Experiential Learning: Organizational Context, Self-Reflection, and Professional Development
Instructor: Joel Clark
Grading: P/NP or graded
Dates: June 10 – August 16, 2019
Description: UGIS W157 is an online course that facilitates students’ learning and self-reflection about various types of organizational contexts, structures, and cultures as well as the development of practical strategies to promote successful internship experiences.
A series of audio-visual lectures, practical exercises, writing assignments, projects, and online group discussions will guide students through all stages of their internship experience. The course will also present a range of theories, methods, and real-world examples for examining management and organizational theory and practice.
Please Note: You must obtain approval from the Career Center in order to be registered for this course. Students who have not obtained this approval will not be allowed to participate. If you register without the necessary approval, you will be automatically removed from the course. Registration for UGIS W157 must be completed by May 29, 2019. Late registrations will NOT be accepted.
Students are encouraged to consult with their academic adviser to see which major/minor or breadth requirements this course may fulfill.
Summer Session fees are $419 per unit, plus any additional registration or campus fees. This course is 3 units. For more information, refer to Registration Fees at http://summer.berkeley.edu/registration/fees
In order to qualify for financial aid, students must be registered for at least 6 units during the summer. This course is 3 units. You will need to enroll in an additional 3 units of coursework in order to qualify for aid.
Tuition and Refund Policy
Once you have registered, all course related fees will appear on your CalCentral account. A refund of unit fees will be issued if you cancel by the Friday of the first week of class. Regular Berkeley Summer Sessions refund policies and deadlines apply to the refund of unit fees. For detailed information about these policies, please go to: http://summer.berkeley.edu/registration/refund.
If you have trouble accessing the form, it may be because you are logged into your personal gmail account. Please log out and try again with your @berkeley.edu email.