Veterinary School - Timeline
It is important to create a timeline for yourself when applying to veterinary school; but perhaps more importantly, your timeline should be flexible. Course scheduling, extra-curricular activities, deadline changes, etc. all contribute to the need of having flexibility in your timeline.
For specific application deadline dates, you should always check: VMCAS or VMSAR. It is always a good idea to apply early. Applying early can help you avoid delays, allow for timely processing and improve your chances of being admitted to schools using rolling admissions.
|Prior to Applying
- Gather Letters of Recommendation.
- Open an Interfolio account to store the letters written for you.
- Continue with your volunteer, work or research activities.
- Prepare for the GRE or MCAT – Register and choose from several dates. AAVMC lists each school's requirements and the latest dates you should take the tests.
- Attend various health professional school workshops, graduate school fairs, etc.
- Consult Association of American Veterinary Medical Schools or VMSAR to confirm the most up to date school-specific requirements. The VMSAR is $21.95 plus shipping and handling. See the AAVMC website for details.
- Order and collect official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities that you have attended.
April - October of the Application Cycle
- Should be taking the GRE or MCAT or waiting for the release of your score from an earlier test. It is a good idea to take an earlier test dates and help avoid delays.
- Confirm deadline dates for VMCAS and veterinary schools
- VMCAS application is available in June. Begin to fill out application. Contact VMCAS directly for specific questions that are not found in their instruction manual
- VMCAS is open for 5 months and applications can be submitted June through early October. Check VMCAS for school specific deadlines.
- Continue to work, volunteer, etc.
August - December of the Application Cycle
- Have letters of recommendation sent to VMCAS - check individual schools for specific criteria. Letters must be in by the deadline (early October)
- VMCAS closes application early October.
- Schools requiring supplemental applicants will let applicant know how to download application and when to submit
- Have official transcripts sent directly to designated veterinary schools by their specific deadline
- Submit GRE or MCAT to designate schools by their required deadline
- Make an appointment for a Mock Interview
November – April of the Application Cycle
- Schools requiring interviews generally interview from January through March.
- Schools send out admission offers. Dates vary. Check each school for their dates.
- Applicants must make final school decision (PDF) by April 15.
Back to Veterinary School home