Veterinary School - Timeline
It is important to create a timeline for yourself when applying to veterinary school; but perhaps more importantly, your timeline should be flexible. Course scheduling, extra-curricular activities, deadline changes, etc. all contribute to the need of having flexibility in your timeline.
For specific application deadline dates, you should always check: VMCAS or VMSAR. It is always a good idea to apply early. Applying early can help you avoid delays, allow for timely processing and improve your chances of being admitted to schools using rolling admissions.
|Prior to Applying
- Gather Letters of Recommendation
- Open an Interfolio account to store the letters written for you.
- Continue with your volunteer, work or research activities.
- Prepare for the GRE or MCAT – Register and choose from several dates. AAVMC lists each school's requirements and the latest dates you should take the tests.
- Attend various health professional school workshops, graduate school fairs, etc.
- Consult Association of American Veterinary Medical Schools or VMSAR to confirm the most up to date school-specific requirements. The VMSAR is $21.95 plus shipping and handling. See the AAVMC website for details.
- Order and collect official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities that you have attended.
April - August of the Application Cycle
- Take the GRE or MCAT
- Confirm deadline dates for VMCAS and veterinary schools
- VMCAS application is available in May. Begin to fill out application. Contact VMCAS directly for specific questions that are not found in their instruction manual
- VMCAS is open for 4 months and applications can be submitted June through mid-September. Check VMCAS, as deadlines change yearly.
- Continue to work, volunteer, etc.
June - September of the Application Cycle
- Have letters of recommendation sent to VMCAS - check individual schools for specific criteria.
- Apply early to mid-August. This allows for any delays or errors in application to be corrected, prior to the September deadline.
- VMCAS deadline is September 15 of each year. No exceptions are given.
- Schools requiring supplemental applicants will let applicant know how to download application and when to submit
- Have official transcripts sent directly to designated veterinary schools by their specific deadline
- Submit GRE or MCAT to designate schools by their required deadline
November – April of the Application Cycle
- Schools requiring interviews generally interview from January through March.
- Schools will send out acceptances. This varies by school
- Applicants must make final school decision by April 15.
Back to Veterinary School home