General Pre-Nursing School Course Requirements
- Prerequisite requirements are vary school specific.
- We strongly recommend you compile a list of your interested programs in order to keep track of varying prerequisites.
- It is important to check the requirements of each school you are considering to make sure you complete all requirements.
- To find a list of nursing programs, please go here.
- Following are some of the most common courses required and recommended.
|Course Subject||# Semesters||UC Berkeley courses that most students use to fulfill requirements|
|General Chemistry||1 semester of general chemistry with lab||
|Biology||2 semesters with lab||Bio 1B and 1A/1AL (while not many programs require general biology, these courses are a prerequisite to upper-division biology coursework at Berkeley)|
|Microbiology||1 semester with lab||PH 162A/162L OR MCB C112/112L|
|Human Anatomy||1 semester with lab||IB 131/131L|
|Physiology||1 semester with lab||MCB 32/32L
|Nutrition||1 semester||NSTX 10|
|Statistics||1 semester||Stat 2|
|English||2 semesters||R1A/R1B (any R&C sequence)|
|Humanities, Social & Behavioral Science||Most schools require 1 semester of an introductory course/s in psych and additional social science coursework||Psych 1 or Psych 2
|Lifespan/Human Development Psychology||Some schools require this course||Not offered at UC Berkeley- we recommend taking at a community college|
|Oral Communication||Some schools require this course||Not offered at UC Berkeley- we recommend taking at a community college|