On-Campus Recruiting - Interview Cancellation/No Show Policy
The Career Center requires that all students participating in On-Campus Recruiting interviews cancel interviews in advance if they cannot keep an interview appointment as scheduled. When you fail to cancel your interviews on time or no show for an interview, your actions reflect poorly on you as an individual and on the University as a whole. Not only do you inconvenience the employer, but you may also deprive another student of a valuable interview opportunity. These situations, if unchecked, may also have more serious implications on the University's relationships with employers overall.
Therefore, the Career Center treats these incidents very seriously and advises you to take special note of the following Cancellation and No Show Policy requirements:
You must cancel interviews no later than 1 business day before the scheduled interview date to avoid a penalty.
- Cancel Online: Login to Handshake. Select Jobs from the top menu, then Applications. Locate your pending interview. Click on the interview title, and on the next page, click on Leave Slot.
Note: You will only be able to cancel online before 11:59 pm through the stated Signup End date noted under Timeline on the interview page. The Signup End Date varies by employer and schedule -- typically from 2-4 days before the interview date -- so pay close attention! If you do not see the option to leave your slot, then you've missed the online cancellation deadline and must contact the Recruiting Office directly.
- Contact the Recruiting Office: If you miss the online cancellation deadline, you are expected to contact the Recruiting Office. Call 510-642-0464 and leave a message, or send an email to email@example.com by 11:59 pm, 1 business day before the scheduled interview date. Provide complete details: name, your berkeley.edu email address, company name, date/time of interview, position title.
Refer to the Late Cancellations and No Shows section below for penalties and appeal procedures if you are cancelling late or fail to show up for your appointments.
- Interview Day Emergencies: In the event of a sudden illness or extreme personal emergency on the interview day, leave a message at 510-642-0464 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you cancel appointments with less than 1 business day's notice (late cancellation) or no show for an interview, the Career Center will treat these instances seriously and will enforce a system with the following penalties:
No-Show: If you fail to appear for an interview with no prior notice, you will receive a warning email.
Late Cancellation: If you cancel an interview late with less than 1 business day's notice more than once, you will receive a warning notice.
No-Show: If you fail to appear for an interview with no prior notice a second time, your Handshake account will be blocked for 14 days. To reinstate your account, you will also be required to meet with an Assistant Director of Counseling.
You will not have access to Handshake for any purpose:
- You will not be able to submit resumes, schedule interviews, view your interview schedule, or sign up for counseling appointments.
- Employers will not be able to invite you for interviews or download your applications for jobs you previously applied for.
However, you will be expected to honor all previously arranged interviews during your suspension period. If you are unsure about your interview schedule, email email@example.com to request a copy of your interview schedule.
A member of the Recruiting staff will inform you of your suspension. You may appeal your suspension if there were extenuating circumstances (as outlined below). If no appeal is made, the Recruiting staff will automatically deactivate your OCR access for the prescribed timeframe.
Employers affected by these penalties may be referred to you for an explanation.
You may appeal your suspension if you feel that there were extenuating circumstances that resulted in your cancelling late or not appearing for your interview. Acceptable excuses might include a car accident, sudden hospitalization, family emergency, etc. - all subject to possible verification. Unacceptable excuses would include last minute preparation for exams or term papers, getting up late, forgetting, not checking your OCR schedule, etc.
Follow these appeal procedures:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours explaining why you cancelled late or did not show up for the interview. Include the organization name, schedule number, interview date and time for your missed appointment
- If you have any substantiating documentation (medical excuse, car towing receipt, accident report, etc.), you are encouraged to email that documentation to the Recruiting Office at email@example.com.
Upon receipt of this information, the Associate Director will review your case and advise you of the final decision.