Frequently Asked Questions - Eligibility

Back to Eligibility Policy Home

Who can use Career Center services?

Career Center services are available to currently enrolled UC Berkeley students and Cal alumni who are 1-5 years post-graduation. Note: Only Alumni who are within twelve months of their graduation date are eligible for one-on-one counseling. More eligibility information

I'm graduating soon. How long will I have access to Career Center services?

All UC Berkeley alumni will have access to Alumni Services for up to five years post-graduation. However, you are only eligible for one-on-one counseling for the first twelve months following your graduation.

What if I go abroad on a non-UC Study Abroad Program?

If you are studying abroad this semester AND are unable to access Career Center Services with your CalNet, you can still access our services by utilizing our Degree Verification registration process.

Detailed instructions can be found here: Eligibility Policy.

I’m not eligible, but want to start looking for a job now. What can I do?

Job Listings – We've compiled a wide range of Job Listing sites that are open to the public.

Resumes and Cover Letters – Take advantage of the extensive information and examples in the free, online version of our Career Readiness Workbook.

Are UC Berkeley Extension students eligible for Career Center services?

UC Berkeley Extension students are not eligible for Career Center services unless you are a part of the Fall Program for Freshmen (FPF) cohort.

Who is eligible for counseling services at the Career Center?

Eligibility for one-on-one counseling extends to:

  • Currently registered UC Berkeley students
  • UC Berkeley alumni who are within one year of their graduation date
  • Approved Degree Verification clients
  • Postdocs and visiting student researchers registered with the Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) program (Affiliates must have an email on file in the VSPA Gateway to have access to Handshake and counseling appointments).

You can view your options on our Make an Appointment page.

Are Summer Session students eligible for Career Center services?

Students taking classes in the summer session who were not registered during the previous spring semester are not eligible for services.