Volunteer Opportunities for Employers & Alumni
Updated: July 14, 2021
The Career Center at UC Berkeley invites you to participate in our Fall 2021 programs and workshops. These events expose students to different career paths while helping them to prepare for summer internships and career employment. Your expertise and insight will be invaluable in helping students define their career direction, enhance their marketablity, and build professional connections with alumni and employers. Involvement in these programs is also a great no-cost way to expand your organization's brand on campus and build awareness about recruitment opportunities.
The programs listed below are categorized by employer relations events and counselor programs. You can select as many programs as you or your company representative(s) would be interested in attending. For questions about Employer Relations events & programs, please contact Adrianne Johnson. For questions about Counseling events & programs, please contact Larry Jackson.
Employer Relations Events & Programs
Career Connections are co-sponsored by the Cal Alumni Association and give students an opportunity to meet alumni and gather insight about different types of roles, companies, or industries. We're seeking a diverse group of Cal alumni and professionals who are interested in sharing their career story and advice! All events will be held virtually for Fall 2021.
Fall 2021 Events
- Consulting & Professional Services | Tuesday, August 31, 2021
- Women in Business | Thursday, September 9, 2021
- Non-Tech Roles in Tech | Thursday, September 16, 2021
- AI & Data Analytics | Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- HR & People Operations | Wednesday, October 13, 2021
- Digital Media & Marketing | Thursday October 28, 2021
- Environment & Sustainability | Thursday, November 4, 2021
- Healthcare | Thursday, November 18, 2021
- Assist Cal students of all class standings with their career development
- Share your expertise and knowledge about your field and the work world
- Build new connections with the Cal campus and reflect upon your time here
- Meet Cal students who might become great interns or employees at your organization
Turn the Tables Fair - September 30th, 2021 - 4-6pm
Meet with representatives from a wide variety of UC Berkeley student organizations, including our Student Organization Partner Program (SOPP) members. Academic, professional, and cultural student organizations will be in attendance. This is not a recruitment event, but rather a means for employers to network with Berkeley student organizations to discuss engagement and sponsorship opportunities. Sponsored by the Career Center and the Lead Center. Register in Handshake >>
Connect with Student Orgs through SOPP, our Student Org Partner Program!
From over 1,200 student organizations on campus, the Career Center and LEAD Center have selected 40 organizations as partners and collaborators for the 2020 - 2021 academic year. These organizations are interested in connecting with employers and promoting professional development among their members. Learn more >>
Counseling Events & Programs
Alumni Career Chat: Sustainability - September 7, 6-7pm
- Seeking 2-3 College of Environmental Design alumni working in the sustainability arena (as a consultant, coordinator, director, or another role in which sustainability is key) to share with students their career path, how they have applied their academic background, and advice about skills to develop for their type of work.
Creating a Compelling Design Portfolio (for CED) - October 5, 6-7:30pm
- Seeking 7-10 environmental design (e.g. architecture, landscape architecture, urban design) alumni, professionals, or employers to provide guidance for students about how to put together a compelling portfolio and to possibly provide feedback to some students.
Job & Internship Search Strategies for CED Students - October 26, 6-7:30pm
- Seeking 5-6 CED students and alumni who can share their experiences, strategies and advice about their successful internship and job searches. We would like one panelist to be an international student/alumni for a segment focused on searching as an international student.
Networking Strategies for CED Students - November 2, 6-7:30pm
- Seeking 5-7 environmental design alumni or employers to share with CED students how networking can help them find opportunities and provide insights into effective ways for them to introduce themselves and interact in networking contexts. There will also be an opportunity for students to practice connecting with professionals in breakout rooms.
Sign up using the Architecture & Design Programs Volunteer Form >>
2021 Haas Career Summit - August 23, 1-5pm
- Seeking 5-6 recruiters to conduct speed resume reviews and present on a career development topic. Also seeking 10-15 recent Haas alumni to join a networking mixer from 4-5pm.
Alumni Career Chat: Product Marketing - September 24, 4-5pm
- Seeking 1-2 recent alumni who work in a product marketing role within a technology company to share your experience and provide recruiting tips.
Employer Challenge: DEI - October 8, 1-4pm
- This program is for employers to engage with Cal students through an experiential learning opportunity. We are seeking 1 employer who can pose a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) project that students can do in small groups. Students will work on this project during the event and present their project ideas to the employer for feedback. This will be a virtual event.
Sign up using the Business Programs Volunteer Form >>
Other related programs:
Alumni Career Chat: Healthcare Consulting - August 30, 12-1pm
- Seeking 2-3 alumni working in healthcare consulting to share their career journey, insights, and advice to help students interested in preparing for a career in this area.
Sign up using the Environment & Sustainability Programs Volunteer Form >>
Alumni Career Chat: Commercial Banking - September 9, 12-1pm
- Seeking 1 alumni working in commercial banking for a virtual event where they can share their insights and experiences with Cal students.
Sign up using the Graduate Student Programs Volunteer Form >>
10th Annual Engineering/Tech Career Conference:
Kicking Off Your Internship & Job Search - August 30, 6-7:00pm
Seeking recent alumni and current students for a virtual panel on job and internship searching. Ideal panelists will have recently secured or completed a job or internship and can assist students with navigating their own search processes.
Preparing for Virtual Career Fairs - August 31, 4:30-5:30pm
Seeking recruiters for a virtual panel about virtual career fairs and how students can maximize their experience.
Tackling Technical Interviews - August 31, 5:45-7pm
Seeking industry recruiters or professionals for a virtual panel on how students can prepare and perform well for technical interviews. Ideal panelists will have experience hiring engineers and can speak to different technical interview styles based on position of interest.
Interviewing the Interviewer - September 1, 4:30-5:30pm
Seeking professionals experienced in candidate hiring to share insights on questions applicants should ask during the interview process. Topics addressed could include assessing company culture and inclusion efforts, as well as disclosure of personal accommodation needs.
Alumni Career Chat: BioTech - September 14, 5-6pm
- Seeking 1-3 Berkeley alumni with careers in BioTech for a virtual Alumni Career Chat. Alumni will be asked to share what they do in their jobs day-to-day and how their time at Berkeley helped fuel their success. During the event, students will be prompted to ask alumni questions about the steps they took to successfully land a job in the BioTech industry.
Alumni Career Chat: Cybersecurity - September 28, 4:30-5:30pm
- Seeking 1 Cal alum working in the cybersecurity field in any functional role who can share insights about relevant skills in the industry and suggestions for building applicable resume experiences.
Hacking the Applicant Tracking System - October 5, 4:30-5:30pm
- Seeking 2-3 volunteers in HR or related fields who can share advice and suggestions for navigating the AI in Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). Ideal panelists can share generalized advice with students on how to format resumes to match the job/internship description and lower rates of rejection.
Underrepresented in STEM: How to Get Experience Employers Value - October 14, 5-6pm
- Seeking 3-4 recent Berkeley alumni who identify as underrepresented in STEM (Black, Latino/a/x, Indigenous, women, transgender, non-binary, disabled, undocumented, etc.) for a virtual panel discussion with a goal to provide advice to underrepresented students about how to gain experience that employers value, including project, leadership, and extracurricular experience.
Sign up using the Engineering / Tech Programs Volunteer Form >>
International Students: Kicking Off Your Internship and Job Search and Alumni Panel Discussion - September 2, 5-6:30pm
- Seeking 2-3 alumni who were international student status at Cal to join this panel and share their own experiences in securing internship/jobs and adjusting to U.S. culture or beyond. The primary purpose of this event is to prepare international students for the upcoming Fall recruiting season. The event coordinator will provide more information for preparation.
International Students: Virtual Career Fair Preparation and Speed Networking with Alumni - September 9, 5-6:30pm
- Seeking 3-4 alumni who were international student status at Cal to share their tips on leveraging career fairs or other networking opportunities to secure job offers. There will be opportunity to assist students with practice networking in breakout rooms.
Sign up using the International Students Programs Volunteer Form >>
How to Be Competitive as an L&S Student in the World of Work - September 23, 5-6pm
- Seeking 2-3 L&S alumni who are recruiters/hiring managers to share insights and practical tips on leveraging strengths and building skills/experience that will help students stand out.
Alumni Career Chat: Educational Leadership - October 7, 5-6pm
- Seeking 2-3 Berkeley alumni who are education leaders within higher education and K-12 to share their experiences and provide insights about leadership within education to current students.
From Coffee Chats to Opportunities: A Panel on Networking for First Gen Students - October 12, 4-5pm
- Seeking 3-4 first generation recent graduates and current students to share their experience of how networking can help students connect to opportunities. There will be an opportunity to practice networking with students in breakout rooms.
Sign up using the Letters & Science Programs Volunteer Form >>
DSP Career Readiness Network - Employer Connections for Students with Disabliities - August 18, 4-5:30pm
- Seeking 10 employers, alumni or professionals who are willing to provide career readiness tips, upcoming career fair opportunities and are willing to network with students with disabilities. All employers and alumni interested in mentoring and contributing to improving the employability of Cal students with disabilities, please contact Ricardo Flores.