Successful Recruiting Strategies
Use the strategies we offer below to help you successfully recruit at UC Berkeley. If you would like to consult with Employer Relations Staff about your recruiting strategies, contact us at (510) 642-0464 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review the Academic & Recruiting Calendar to plan the timing of your recruiting activities around key campus dates and events. Start early
- Participate in Career Fairs to source candidates and build a positive brand on campus
- Participate in On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) to conveniently conduct first round interviews on campus
- Host an information session to promote your organization and meet prospective candidates
- Send an email blast via our Student Email Service about your upcoming activities on campus
It could take up to 3 years of consistent and expanded engagement activities on campus to build brand recognition and a strong positive reputation with students. An inconsistent presence can bring you back to square one or even damage your brand.
Participate regularly in Career Center activities
- Volunteer for panels, programs and workshops to create a buzz about your organization and positive word of mouth advertising
- Encourage your organization's Cal alumni to participate in events, such as the Cal Externship Program, Career Connections Series and company site visits
Collaborate with Student Organizations
- Consider partnering with the Career Center's Student Organization Partner Program (SOPP). These organizations are interested in connecting with employers for career and professional development opportunities.
- Offer to speak to their group, co-sponsor an information session, or buy food for a group meeting
Reach out to faculty
- It's difficult to present in classrooms on our campus; relationships with faculty are often based on an academic or research focus
- Leverage the relationships your Cal alumni and/or senior executives have with faculty to get an introduction
- Be prepared to offer support for research or department initiatives