Employer Services - Successful Recruiting Strategies
Use the strategies we offer below to help you successfully recruit at UC Berkeley. If you would like to consult with Employer Relations Staff about your recruiting strategies, contact us at 510-642-0464 or by email.
To help you foster meaningful and lasting relationships with our campus, our team has created the #HireCal recruiting program, which includes an educational session to help you maximize recruiting efforts at Cal and to learn and share best practices. Following a brief presentation, you will be able to ask questions, and find support as you navigate our campus. Advanced registration is required. Sessions will continue to be added, so please check back if you're unable to attend what's listed below:
- Review the Academic & Recruiting Calendar to plan the timing of your recruiting activities around key campus dates and events. Start early!
- Participate in career fairs to source candidates and build a positive brand on campus
- Schedule On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) interviews to conveniently conduct first round interviews at the Career Center
- Host events such as information sessions, coffee chats, or office hours to promote your organization, meet prospective candidates, and keep students engaged
- Send an email blast via our Targeted Student Email Service about your job opportunities and campus recruiting activities
It could take up to 3 years of consistent and expanded engagement activities on campus to build brand recognition and a strong positive reputation with students. An inconsistent presence can bring you back to square one or even damage your brand.
Participate regularly in Career Center activities
- Volunteer for panels, programs and workshops to create a buzz about your organization and positive word of mouth advertising
- Encourage your organization's Cal alumni to engage with students via our Career Connections series and the Berkeley Career Network (BCN).
Join the Berkeley Circle
The Career Center's Berkeley Circle Partner Program helps organizations maximize recruitment efforts, increase student connections, and promote a positive brand.
Collaborate with Student Organizations
- Consider partnering with the Career Center's Student Organization Partner Program (SOPP). These organizations are interested in connecting with employers for career and professional development opportunities.
- Offer to speak to their group, co-sponsor an information session, or buy food for a group meeting
Reach out to faculty
- It's difficult to present in classrooms on our campus; relationships with faculty are often based on an academic or research focus
- Leverage the relationships your Cal alumni and/or senior executives have with faculty to get an introduction
- Be prepared to offer support for research or department initiatives
- Review our U.S Employer's Guide to Hiring UC Berkeley International Students (PDF)
- Connect with International Student Organizations
- Check out this Employer Toolkit for Hiring Dreamers (DACA) (PDF) by TheDream.US