Career Field - Education
- Career Guides: Multiple Fields
- Teacher Preparation
- School and School Districts Information
- Guidance Counseling
- School Psychology
- School Social Work
- Library/Information Services
- Special Education
- Teaching Without a Credential
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - A guide to career, labor market, salary and training information for media and communications-related occupations.
- California Occupational Guides - Includes job descriptions, outlooks and wages, education, training, and related occupations.
- Vault Guides - Insider's information about careers in this area. Features include "Day in the Life" career profiles, employee reviews of careers and companies, and detailed information about key employers in the field. Available through Handshake.
- Education Week - Premier source of news, information, and analysis on American K-12 education. Available online from any UC Berkeley campus IP address.
- InsideJobs - Provides descriptive profiles, insightful videos, and helpful career information for over 15,000 jobs in 10 different career families.
- California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Credentialing and testing information (CBEST, CSET, etc), legislation updates and links to education-related websites.
- Education Degree: Alternative Teaching Certification programs. A list of all alternative credentialing programs (for individuals wanting to become a teacher but who haven't attended a formal teacher preparation program/degree).
- TEACH California. Website administered by the California Department of Education (CDE). This site is designed to explain the teacher preparation process.
- California Department of Education - Directory of public schools, private schools, and school districts.
- National Charter School Resource Center - Information about Charter Schools including location, mission statement, population served, and enrollment data.
- Public School Review
- Career Profile- A day in the life of, associated careers, and graduate programs
- Requirements for becoming a guidance counselor
- American Psychological Association - Online resources for students considering a career in Psychology
- National Association of School Psychologists
- School Psychology Career Information - Nature of work, education, job outlook, career preparation and more.
- National Association of Social Workers - The Student Center section of this website includes numerous educational resources from schools to scholarships, licensing, publications and careers in social work.
- School Social Work Association of America SSWAA - Information related to the field of social work, legislation, education, professional development, associations and job listings.
- Social Workers - Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics describing the nature of the occupation, training, advancement, outlook and earnings information. Also includes links to related occupations
- American Association of School Librarians - Career development and continuing education resources for those in or seeking to enter the school library media field.
- Library Organizations and Associations - A list of national and international library related organizations and associations.
- Society of American Archivists - Career information, graduate programs, mentoring programs, online publications and resources.
- Council for Exceptional Children - The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to improving the educational success of individuals with disabilities.
- National Center for Special Education Personnel and Related Services Provider - Information on careers working with children with disabilities. Includes profiles, typical responsibilities, preparation, job outlook and more.
- Americorps - Offers opportunities to serve communities in the areas of education, children and youth, community development, public health, and hunger and homelessness.
- Cal Teach, California Teach Science & Mathematic Initiative at UC Berkeley - A new program to prepare and support math, science, and engineering students who are interested in becoming K-12 math and science teachers.
- City Year - National Service program that unites diverse groups of young people aged 17-24 for a year-long community service program. Projects range from running after-school programs to teaching social issues curricula.
- Fortune School - A comprehensive teacher recruitment and district intern credential program whose mission is to provide eligible individuals an affordable and convenient way to earn a California teaching credential while meeting California's demand for new teachers.
- Teach for America (TFA) & Teach for America@Cal- TFA collaborates with districts across the US to prepare students into full time teaching positions, and in preparing students to obtain their credentials while in the program. You will be teaching in “high need” areas.
Participating in these groups can be a valuable avenue for learning about an occupation or field. They are an excellent resource for networking.
Cal Student Organizations
Student organizations related to this field include:
Other Student Organizations - List of UC Berkeley student organizations registered with the LEAD Center. (Try searching for tutoring, teaching, or education.)
A few of the major professional organizations include:
- American Association for Higher Education
- Education Resource Organizations Directory
- National Education Association (NEA)
To find other professional associations, go to:
- Directory of Associations - Search a database of over 35,000 professional associations.
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association