Career Field - Communications
- Career Profiles and Guides
- Advertising & Public Relations
- Journalism, Publishing, Literary and Technical Writing
- Event Planning & Hospitality
Occupational Outlook Handbook - A guide to career, labor market, salary and training information for media and communications-related occupations.
California Occupational Guides - Includes job descriptions, outlooks and wages, education, training, and related occupations.
Vault Guides - Insider's information about careers in this area. Features include "Day in the Life" career profiles, employee reviews of careers and companies, and detailed information about key employers in the field. Available through Callisto.
AdAge.com - Current news and industry information about marketing, media and advertising.
ADWEEK - Current news and industry information for people working in advertising.
PR Council - Industry news, events and issues, directory of PR firms, case studies, “PR Quickstart” Web-based industry training program designed for those new to PR, and other resources.
Career Overview: Public Relations - Public Relations career, job and training information.
Public Relations, Advertising & Marketing - What's the Difference? - Quick rundown of these three fields, how they’re related and the differences between them.
Bookjobs.com - About Publishing - Overview of the publishing industry; descriptions of the types of work performed within publishing.
JournalismJobs.com - Career articles and other helpful information for people interested in journalism and media.
MPA/Association of Magazine Media - Offers Industry news, career resources and professional development event information for the magazine media industry.
Poets and Writers - Resources for literary writers' professional development including a directory of places which host readings, funding, publishing advice and more.
Writer's Digest - Tips and information on how to get published in magazines and books.
Meeting Professionals International - Industry news and resources for meeting professionals.
Participating in these groups can be a valuable avenue for learning about an occupation or field. They are an excellent resource for networking, and their websites often have information about careers.
Cal Student Organizations
Student organizations related to this field include:
Other Student Organizations - List of UC Berkeley student organizations registered with Campus Life and Leadership.
Major professional organizations include:
- Advertising Educational Foundation
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- Bay Area Editors' Forum
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Media Alliance - Media resource and advocacy center for media workers, non-profit organizations, and social justice activists.
- National Sports Marketing Network Bay Area Chapter
- Population-specific organizations: Asian American Journalists Association, Association for Women in Communications, National Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) (student arm of PRSA)
- Radio Television Digital News Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Society for Technical Communication
- Writers Guild of America, West
To find other professional associations, go to:
- ASAE Gateway to Associations Directory - Search a database of over 6500 links to professional associations.
Internship Listing Sites - Websites, programs, and other resources for internships in this career area. For listings specifically for Cal students, visit Callisto - the official Career Center job and internship listing site.
Job Listing Sites - Websites specializing in job listings for this particular career field. For listings specifically for Cal students, visit Callisto - the official Career Center job and internship listing site.