Career Field - Communications
- Career Profiles and Guides
- Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations
- Journalism, Literary, Publishing
- Translation & Interpretation
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Information about career, salary, training and employment projections for many different career fields, including arts and entertainment.
- Candid Career - Provides 1000's of informational video interviews with industry professionals covering a comprehensive collection of careers..
- Vault - Complete information about careers in this area. Features include downloadable e-guides on careers and industries, "Day in the Life" career profiles, employee reviews of careers and companies, and more. Available through Handshake under "Career Center" - "Resources".
- AdAge.com - Current news and industry information about marketing, media and advertising.
- ADWEEK - Current news and industry information for people working in advertising.
- American Marketing Association (AMA) - National professional group. Local chapter in San Francisco.
- PR Council - Industry news, events and issues, directory of PR firms, case studies, “PR Quickstart” Web-based industry training program designed for those new to PR, and other resources.
- Public Relations, Advertising & Marketing - What's the Difference? - Quick rundown of these three fields, how they’re related and the differences between them.
- Bookjobs.com - About Publishing - Overview of the publishing industry; descriptions of the types of work performed within publishing.
- JournalismJobs.com - Career articles and other helpful information for people interested in journalism and media.
- MPA/Association of Magazine Media - Offers Industry news, career resources and professional development event information for the magazine media industry.
- Poets and Writers - Resources for literary writers' professional development including a directory of places which host readings, funding, publishing advice and more.
- Writer's Digest - Tips and information on how to get published in magazines and books.
Translation & Interpretation
- Masters/Certification Programs:
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
San Francisco State University (College of Extended Learning)
The American Translators Association
UC Berkeley Extension
- The American Association of Language Specialists
- The Translator's Home Companion
Participating in these groups can be a valuable avenue for learning about an occupation or field. They are an excellent resource for networking, and their websites often have information about careers.
Cal Student Organizations
Student organizations related to this field include:
- Daily Californian
- Undergraduate Marketing Association
- Other Student Organizations - List of UC Berkeley student organizations registered with the LEAD Center.
Major professional organizations include:
- Advertising Educational Foundation
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- Bay Area Editors' Forum
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Media Alliance - Media resource and advocacy center for media workers, non-profit organizations, and social justice activists.
- National Sports Marketing Network Bay Area Chapter
Affinity group organizations:
- Asian American Journalists Association
- Association for Women in Communications
- National Association of Black Journalists
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) (student arm of PRSA)
- Radio Television Digital News Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Society for Technical Communication
- Writers Guild of America, West
To find other professional associations, go to: