@cal Career Network - Tips on Identifying Alumni Contacts
Use these tips to find the best alumni to contact:
- Search for alumni contacts by many criteria, including educational background, career field, location, etc. This makes it easy for you to search for contacts several different ways or to broaden your search. Do not limit yourself!
- If you are majoring in engineering, math or computer science, don't just contact alumni who also majored in these areas. Try searching by career fields or career function to find alumni working in various fields connected to these majors.
- If you are looking for a career in advertising, don't just search for alumni who majored in mass communications. Also, try psychology, arts, English or rhetoric.
- If you are a liberal arts major and you are not sure what to do with your degree, try looking for people who majored in various disciplines like English, cognitive science, art, philosophy, foreign languages, etc. for different ideas.
- Once you have done a search, read the career and job descriptions of the alumni who came up in the search results to find alumni who are working in the areas that appeal to you.
- After identifying alumni in your preferred career field, look for those with whom you share common interests or a similar background, such as major, hobbies, or student activities.