Handshake: Alumni FAQ's
Access and Login
Currently registered UC Berkeley Students, postdocs and visiting student researchers registered with the VSPA program, Alumni Advantage members and Degree Verification students are eligible. Only UC Berkeley students and alumni may participate in on-campus recruiting.
Handshake users have the ability to explore and find amazing job and internship opportunities. The platform changes to your customized needs, pushing out information that is relevant and timely based on your career interests, experiences and major. Handshake is also where you will apply for jobs, see relevant career articles, sign up for events and workshops and access the on-campus recruiting program.
- Currently Registered Students: (1) visit the Handshake login page, (2) select CalNet login option and (3) utilize your CalNet ID and password in order to login.
- Alumni and Degree Verification Students: (1) visit the Handshake login page and, 2) in the area marked “Please Sign In,” input the email address you used to register for your Alumni Advantage membership/Degree verification status.
- Postdoc/Visiting Scholar & Visiting Student Researcher: (1) visit the Handshake login page, (2) select Postdoc login and (3) input the email address you used to register in the VSPA Gateway.
Only currently registered UC Berkeley students, Alumni Advantage members, Degree Verification students, and postdocs & visiting student researchers registered with the VSPA office are eligible for Handshake and other Career Center services.
- Alumni: See the Alumni section of this website for information about purchasing an Alumni Advantage membership. If you already purchased Alumni Advantage, please wait 1-2 business days. If you are still having problems, contact us and briefly describe your situation.
- Postdocs & Visiting Student Researchers: Only postdocs & visiting student researchers registered with the campus VSPA office are eligible for Handshake and other Career Center services.
- Filing Fee & Special Status: If you are not currently registered, you may still be eligible for Career Center services including Handshake by using our Degree Verification option.
If none of the above applies to you, send an email and we'll research the problem.
Profile and Qualifications
The information about my major(s) is incorrect, incomplete or missing. Handshake tells me the field is "locked." How do I update the information?
The information about your major(s) was taken from your record in BearFacts when Handshake was launched on June 1st. It is our expectation that by the start of the fall semester, your major information will be updated in real time to reflect what is in the Office of the Registrar’s database.
On your profile page, click on the pencil iconnext to the “School Year” field, and make your selection from the dropdown menu.
The GPA fields are now unlocked, and you can now add your departmental and cumulative GPAs to your profile. To do so, click on the pencil icon next to "Primary Education" (top right on your profile screen) and enter your data. Be sure to scroll down and click "save" before leaving the page. It may take a few minutes for your GPA(s) to show on your profile.
I’m being blocked from applying for a job because of my qualifications (major, GPA…). What can I do?
Any eligible client who has access to Handshake can apply for any job in Handshake, regardless of qualifications. While no client is ever blocked from applying, you may not necessarily be fully qualified based on items such as major, GPA etc. However, you may see a system message that indicates you are missing a qualification. Please note that this will not stop you from submitting your application for any opportunity.
You may save searches by going to the job posting module in Handshake. After selecting criteria, click on the “+” button next to “Saved Searches.” Name your saved search by giving it a title you will remember. Once it is saved, you can go back to it selecting “Saved Searches” and search for the title. Handshake provides a visual tutorial on how to save a search in their help module.
Unfortunately, no results can be emailed to you, but we encourage you to go into Handshake regularly to refresh the saved search.
When you apply for a posting that requires a transcript, click on “Apply Now” and select “Document Type” underneath the heading “Upload a Document.” You are able to identify your document as a transcript by selecting “transcript” on the document type picklist. Handshake does provide a visual tutorial on how to upload a document.
For other Handshake-related questions visit Handshake's Help Center.