Planning Your Future - Make Connections
One of the best ways to learn about a career field is to find out what it's like from others who have been there. "Making a connection" (otherwise known as networking) is an essential step in the transition from student to professional.
Networking and Informational Interviewing
Networking takes on many forms such as talking with classmates, or attending office hours, information sessions and career fairs. Informational interviewing is a particular form of networking that involves consulting with professionals to learn more about their career fields.
- @cal Career Network - The Network helps you connect with Cal alumni who have volunteered to share their career experiences with students and other alumni through informational interviews.
- Professional Associations - Professional associations are committed to attracting and supporting people interested in entering particular career fields and are good resources for informational interview
Connecting at Career Center Events
Career Center events are a good way to learn about industries, organizations, or job titles that appeal to you. The professionals who participate in these events want to give you information and have an interest in you as a Cal student.
- Look for Career Center events in fields that interest you.
- Sign up for CareerMail - These announcements are a great way to stay informed of potential opportunities to make contact with people in fields of interest to you.
- Attend Career Fairs - Review tips to make the most of a career fair.