Resources to Research Employers
Recommended Internet Resources
To generate a list of potential employers in a particular career field or industry, try these sites:
- Business Journals Local Business Directories - Searchable directories of businesses for 43 major metropolitan areas.
- CareerOneStop - Use the employer locator to search a 12 million-company database by region and industry.
- LinkedIn - Use the company directory or "search companies" features to find companies of interest.
For researching large companies, try these sites:
- Business Week Online Company Research - Find information about hundreds of thousands of public and private companies.
- Glassdoor.com - Get insider information on over 100,000 companies, including company salaries, reviews and interview questions.
- Hoovers Online - Gather industry information, as well as information on private, public, IPO, subsidiary and non-US companies.
To locate the most current information about a potential employer, check these resources:
- PR Newswire - Search by industry or by keyword from a database of company press releases.
- San Francisco Business Times - Find local business and industry news, resources, and networking event information.
- Thomas J. Long Business and Economics Library (S-350 Haas School of Business) - Research companies using numerous resources, including the Berkeley Business Guides: No. 4: Company Information, No. 18: Internet Resources in Business & Economics, and No. 24: High Technology Companies & Industries. Also available are the San Francisco and Silicon Valley Book of Lists.
- Foundation Center - Review materials on foundations, grants and corporate philanthropy to help with your nonprofit job search.
Career Center Resources
- Vault Employer & Industry Guides - Download these extensive and informative guidebooks; free to Cal students and Alumni Advantage members.
- GoinGlobal - Gather information on 1000s of companies and read about career and job search topics for over 25 countries.
- Employer Spotlights - Research Berkeley Circle employers.